Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Joys of Being a Mom

Hadley was sick this week. We had nasty projectile vomit at our house. And yet, it was ok and we got through it. It was the first time Hadley puked like that but we got through it.

So Wednesday night I had just gotten done feeding Hadley. She was standing up on my lap and was over my shoulder. I was about to burp her but before I could start pounding her back (that kid STILL hates to be burped), she throws up ALL OVER EVERYWHERE. It was over my shoulder and on the back of the couch. It was all down my back. I looked at her and it was all over her face. Then she decides to make her raspberry noises and she proceeds to get nasty vomit IN MY MOUTH. So gross. So I'm just sitting there sort of stunned and Adrian is right next to me on the other couch. I said, "HELLO??? Can I get a little help here?" And he looks at us with this shocked look on his face and might've said something like, "What happened?" He missed the whole dang thing!! I don't know how he missed the horrible gagging and choking sounds she was making when she was throwing up. And I'm pretty sure I probably said something when I realized I had throw up IN MY MOUTH. But no, he missed the whole thing.

So we take Hadley upstairs and Hadley goes straight into the shower with Daddy. Now before you get all creeped out, Hadley showers all the time with Daddy and she loves it. It doesn't bother her one bit. She won't shower with Daddy forever either, so don't get all weird about it. Anyways, she continues to throw up in the shower. I get her out of the shower and try to get her lotioned up and diapered. She keeps throwing up. She had eaten carrots for dinner so it was this weird orange-y color. I take her temperature rectally (I know, can you believe I can actually do that?) and it was 102.1! At this point I'm getting stressed out. I can handle most things with her no problem. There are things that she does that stresses Adrian out and they're no big deal to me. But this was my "big deal" and my turn to be stressed. I couldn't handle the gagging and choking and the throwing up. It scared me. So I asked Adrian if he could take over and he did with no issues. It's such a relief to know that we really are a team and it's so nice to know that we can trade off on things and it's ok.

Adrian called our pediatrician's office whose on-call service then in turn calls the nurses at Children's Hospital. A nurse called us back. She said every kid in the state seems to have this stomach bug right now and it's every single phone call she's getting. She gives us very specific instructions on how to care for Hadley and I take copious notes. Adrian heads to the grocery store to get some Pedialyte because we didn't have any at the house. I guess that stuff is supposed to be a staple at your house when you have a kid, but guess we didn't realize we were getting to that point yet! At this point, Hadley's already passed out in her crib and sleeps all through the night until about 6:30 the next morning. She never threw up again. Adrian was off work Thursday and Friday, so he took care of her. She was fussy and clingy on Thursday, but understandably so. Her temperature was still 101 when I left for work that morning. Adrian got over his fear and disgust of the manner in which to take an accurate temperature and it was down to 99 that afternoon.

We survived Hadley's first stomach bug and projectile vomit episode. Ahhh, the joys of being a Mom and first-time parents, right? We wouldn't change it for the world!

Adrian took this picture of us on Thursday after I got home from work. Hadley took a nap on the couch with me and she drooled all over me. So, no, those aren't nasty pit stains! Can you tell she's still feeling a little under the weather?















Here's a little smile.















On Saturday, Hadley and I laid around in our pj's and took some pictures.















Getting kisses from Gus






























I could just eat Hadley up in this last picture. I love my sweet baby girl SO MUCH! Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

MCS said...

Looks like you are taking to it like a duck takes to water. Great pictures Kerri we love the updates.

Mike, Ardie & Alpine