Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Win the "Worst Mom of the Year" Award

Uncle Bob, Barb, and Eric from Chicago are here in Colorado camping and sightseeing for 2 weeks. This Saturday the plan was to meet them in Idaho Springs and then we were going to visit Mt. Evans. Hadley and I met Team Coleman at their house so we could caravan up there. I bring Hadley and the diaper bag in their house. You see where this is going now, don't you? I change Hadley's diaper. We then are all ready to go. I carry Hadley and the diaper bag out of their house. I put Hadley in her carseat. I get other things loaded in the car. We're all ready to go and we leave in 2 cars. Hadley, Jenny and Anna are in my car. I LEAVE THE DIAPER BAG SITTING ON THE SIDEWALK. I don't realize this until about 3 hours later. Are you kidding me???? I'M THE WORST MOM EVER. Thankfully, I had brought one 8-oz. bottle of water/Pedialyte. I also had Hadley's sweatshirt. I had absolutely ZERO diapers or anything for Hadley to eat. UGH.

Hadley didn't realize any of this until we were almost at the top of Mt. Evans. She started getting really cranky. I knew she probably had a wet diaper and I assumed she was also probably hungry. There was nothing I could do. She finally fell asleep. I sat with her in the car while she slept and everyone else got out and checked out the view from the top of Mt. Evans. We were only at the top for about 5 minutes and Jenny told the people in the other car that we'd meet them down at the bottom for our picnic lunch. We drive down and find a gift shop/restaurant. I carry Hadley out of the car, I head into the gift shop to inquire about diapers, and as I'm standing there talking to this lady, Hadley pees all over me. Nice. She was soaked, poor thing. They had one pack of medium Huggies and they sold them individually. I bought 3 diapers for $3 and also bought some Rocky Mountain animal cookies. They were the only baby-type food they had.

After the diaper change and all the cookies, Hadley was a happy camper again. We had our picnic lunch and Hadley devoured a ton of bologna--that was a first-time food. She also had some cherries. I think she was so hungry that she didn't pause to realize that she was eating new foods. (Usually she takes a few minutes to warm up to new tastes and textures.)

It really was a fun day, and as Uncle Giant said, Hadley never will remember any of it. But I sure will--my memory is very long for that sort of thing! We'll have to take her to Mt. Evans another time with a fully stocked diaper bag.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

At least she's throwing bologna and not the stuff you used to throw! muah ha ha ha ha!!!